Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Spring rains finally here and One Flower for Wednesday

Well, fortunately we have been getting much needed rains the last couple of days... just in time to sweeten the berries forming on my blueberry bushes and raspberry & blackberry canes.  Ymm.

Here is a photo of a flower added to my Grandmother's Flower Garden lap quilt; it is nestled in my favorite rose: Alchemyst.  As an inconsistent gardner in zone 7 who doesn't use chemicals, I am always delighted when my rose leaves are free from blackspot... short lived I'm sure.
Go on over and check out other lovely hexis and great tutorials for English Paper Piecing at Karen's Journey of a Quilter One Flower Wednesday sign-in

Now, I will most likely take a month long break from One Flower Wednesday to focus on some quilting UFO goals and because next Tuesday, May 1, will begin MadMay 2012 on Ravelry.

For those who may not know, this is a wonderful free website for knitters.  I looked on the site to try to figure out how many members there are, but couldn't.  I joined in December 2008 when I think there were about 250,000 members.  Seems like I remember there are over a million now.

At any rate, in May, one of the groups "Madelinetosh Lovers" has a competition/Knit&Crochet Along; Madelinetosh is a fantabulous yarn, in luscious colors.  There are over 6,200 members in this group.  Our goal in MadMay is to begin and complete knitting projects using Madelinetosh yarn.  I think it is so funny that knitting can be made competitive!  Now, I am too slow & have too many irons in the fire to win anything... but I just love, love external accountability to help with completion of projects.  So I plan to knit a pattern by one of my favorite designers, Carina Spencer: Scalene knitted scarf in yarns from my stash:- colors: Gingham (a silvery blue) and Fathom (a deep blue.)  We start our swatches tomorrow & cast on May 1. 

Hope you are all enjoying yourselves.  Happy stitching!

10 comments:

Nane said...

I look forward to doing some landscaping once the "hardscaping" is done at the cabin. Way to go on finishing a UFO

Raewyn said...

Your hexie-flower and rose match perfectly! Lovely. Enjoy your month of knitting abd UFO-ing... every time I say I'm going to focus on UFOs I start something new... hope you have more willpower than me!

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

The Alchemist is just lovely and so is your hexie.........will miss you for One Flower Wednesday but gave fun knitting!

krisgray said...

Lovely hexie! I am in zone 5 and my roses have black spots already - uggh.

Karen said...

Beautiful hexie flower and rose! Good luck with your quilting UFO goals and the knitting competition sounds like fun.

Quilting Chemist (Danette) said...

Gorgeous Flower(s)! Enjoy your month of knitting - sounds like fun.

Anonymous said...

Lovely flower!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Gorgeous flower this week!! Good luck with your knitting plans and I look forward to seeing more flowers in June :)

Anthea said...

Hi Becky, thanks for your visit to me. The hexy flower is just beautiful, the lap quilt will be gorgeous. All the best with the knitting - pics please!... x

Hermie said...

you have made a very nice flower