It has been a while since I posted on progress made on my Hop to It quilt top. I do not have photos of all the completed blocks, but do for the block I worked on while sitting with Mom last month.
I changed the design a bit: originally, the flowers had only the two outer petals, but to me the just looked too much like lobster claws, so I added the central petal. I think they look more like tulips; I like them.
Plus, the pattern only had 2 circles. I added one and made them a bit smaller so I could use all three of my aqua fabrics. Here's close up:
There is a tiny spot on the white background, so I only lightly pressed (and not at all on stain.) I'll soak in Biz then rinse before I do my final pressing. I love crisply pressed applique.
Although I use many different methods when I applique, most of this block was done using the freezer paper technique. This top is the project in a monthly workshop. Our fantabulous teacher/guru Kathleen brings us laser printed freezer paper (the good kind CT Advanced Paper Co, I think) which has all the pieces on it. We just cut them out; no need to reuse an individual piece.
Although she includes the circles on the freezer paper templates, most of us use Karen Kay Buckley's Perfect Circles. Just love them.
For the stems, I use clover's 1/4 inch bias tape maker and a TON of spray starch. A lot of folks iron the bias after starching & before running through bias tape maker, but I iron the bias which has an angled end, saturate it, run it into the maker & slowly run the iron over the tape as it emerges, ensuring it is dry when I complete it: the bias always holds together and is crisp and even. Easy peasy. Now don't be alarmed, the spray starch will be washed out. I know some folks have had troubles because of the starch, but it won't remain in the fabric.
Boy o boy do I love tools that work!
Tomorrow is One Flower Wednesday, but after that I hope to get more of my Hop to It blocks posted.
Thanks for stopping by!