Saturday, September 1, 2012

Knitting Finished Object!

This summer I joined a wonderful Ravelry KAL (Knit ALong) to knit Paula Emons-Fuessle's lovely shawlette Piper's Journey.  The group on Ravelry is SingleHanded Knits, if you want to check it out & I recommend you do!  For those who are not knitters, Ravelry is a phenomenal free knitting website (I think over a million members!) which in my opinion is a must have for any knitter... tons of free patterns, great educational resources and a great vehicle for chatting @ all things knitting & crocheting & spinning, fantabulous! Here is Link to Ravelry

Here is link to my project page on Ravelry for this shawl:
My Piper's Journey  (Still having trouble transferring photos from phone... :{{)

This lovely accessory has a crescent shape that lays wonderfully (and securely) around one's shoulders.  Simple and beautiful.  The pattern is well written and the lace border is attached as you knit.  It takes a while because one has to knit 36 (18*2) stitches for each and every stitch on the edge of the shawl, and I had over 248 stitches on the edge. 

My color choices were the same as the lovely lady MSKiKnits who started the ravelry group.  Shameless paint by number knitting!

About a third of a way into the shawl, I realized I really wanted to give it to a friend, Rosemary.  She was a God-send while we were caring for Mom during the February vigil in my sister's home in which we sat with Mom 24/7 ( a great blessing, yet difficult too.)  Rosemary's spirit was hopeful, respectful, encouraging and incredibly loving.  She is a nurse who cares for the elderly and generously shared her amazing knowledge and skill with us.  She often would come at 10:30-11pm and stay until 5AM so we could sleep.  So, I was so happy to make this for Rosemary.  I finished in time to give it to her before she went on retreat with my sister in California, then headed on up to Maine.  I understand she loved it, and wore it all the time.  Happy dance!

It was a wonderful thing to be able to gift this to her.
I hope you too are able to demonstrate your care and appreciation through the work of your hands.  What a joyful blessing!

2 comments:

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

Becky! So glad to see a new post from you on my dashboard and to read such an uplifting post. I was unable to view your project on Ravelry until I create an account but it is good to hear from you!

Suzanne said...

I love Ravelry! Great and helpful people and free patterns. Your work is beautiful!