Wednesday, March 14, 2012

March 14 One Flower Wednesday

Photos can really help one see.  I've got one lavender hexi made from a different fabric!  This cracks me up... I didn't see it until I looked at the photo.  I mean this is HAND work, not strip piecing!  What a hoot.  Now the dilemma, at an insane 22-24 stitches per inch & super strong knots, do I want to try to take it out?  Used to be I absolutely would, but then this attitude contributes to my difficulty in completing projects.   And although it is a bit humbling, it isn't what I think of as a humility block.  My understanding is one has to PLAN the mistake and make it intentionally... boy is that tough on perfectionism... tho I bet I could come up with a plan for the 'perfect' intentional mistake! lol  So, for now, I'll leave it.  If I can't live with it, I'll change... but the likelihood of me making a bigger mess and injuring the adjoining hexis is pretty dog gone high!

This makes number 17.  I only plan on having 18 for my largish throw.  There will be 5 rows: 4 flowers each in rows 1,3 & 5; 3 flowers each in rows 2 and 4.

This week, I'll work on the layout before selecting the colors for the last flower... keeping my fingers crossed that they'll all play well together and none will stand out.

Also, I'll concentrate on making connectors; some are made but I have boatloads to go!  Not even sure how many I'll need, nor how I'll finish the outside edges.  I've got 3 or 4 jelly roll strips (and 10" squares) of other browns I could use to fill in the dips in the sides.  Sixteen 1" hexis can be made from each strip.  Haven't used much of the 10" squares so do not know how many can be cut from them.  There are also 3 or 4 golds in the grouping I haven't used yet.  (This is when I wish I had EQ 7!)  But, as I do not, I guess I best get busy. 

Stop by Karen's lovely blog to see others who are making progress on their gardens... and Karen has the best links to tutorials so check them out and come join us!  Here's link: Journey of a Quilter

Thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

Kris said...

Becky - I think your flower is beautiful and just remember that none of us are perfect and no flower garden is perfect!! A little wonky flower among the rest makes for a unique quilt!! No one will ever have one like it!! My humble vote - keep it!! If you don't, send it to me - I love it!! Kris

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

I agree with Kris......It took me awhile to figure out what you were talking about....it isn't noticeable unless you are really looking....and once it is in the completed quilt....only you are going to know....I think it's beautiful.

Quilting Chemist (Danette) said...

Beautiful Flower! Love the lavendar and All your petals. I agree, it makes it unique.

Karen said...

Just like nature, nothing is perfect, I love your lavender flower just the way it is!

Nane said...

Becky..I just found your blog (I know you have been following mine) Looks like you have the hexi bug too. And did you see the two quilts at the show that combined the Hop to It blocks with the $5 chain gain bom from Sew Original? Loved them... Now that I know where you are I can visit more often! Leanne

Carrie P. said...

I had to look hard to see what you were talking about. I think it would be fun to leave it alone.

Lee said...

My first visit here...love the hexis; maybe you could applique a piece of the 'right' fabric over the other and then trim out the bulk?

Diane said...

Oh, I do so hope you left your little hexi alone. I can totally relate to your urge to tear it out. In my younger years, I would have done it, but with age comes wisdom. Those are the little things that add personality to a quilt.